Here are the latest Detroit Red Wings news and notes for July 6, 2012:
• The free-agent crop is dwindling and the Red Wings still have a boatload of money to spend. So, with Zach Parise (and a host of others) off the market, who might Ken Holland pursue now?
Even though the Wings reportedly have concerns about his work ethic, Alexander Semin seems like the obvious choice. CBSSports.com’s Adam Gretz wrote of Semin: “He’s the best player still available in free agency, and based on his talent and production over the years should have been able to find a new home by now.”
Will that new home be in Hockeytown? — CBSSports
• Semin is just one of the options up front — and there are more roads the Wings could head down at the forward position than on defense, which is the main reason Ryan Suter’s decision hurt more than Parise’s for Detroit. But if Semin isn’t the next target for Holland and co., could Shane Doan or Rick Nash be on deck? — Sportsnet
• Doan has said he won’t make a decision about his future until July 9, as he and the Coyotes wait to see if a new prospective owner for the franchise is approved. But Doan’s agent reportedly has placed several calls to the Wings since July 1 to gauge the team’s interest in the veteran forward. — SBNation
• Back at home, the Wings still have a pair of restricted free agents (Kyle Quincey and Justin Abdelkader) to deal with. Thursday was the deadline for RFAs to file for arbitration and Quincey did just that, meaning that if he and the Wings can’t agree to a contract in the next couple of weeks, an arbitrator will award Quincey’s salary for the upcoming season. — MLive
• The Wings did make a move behind the bench on Thursday, hiring ex-Oilers coach Tom Renney to fill the associate head coach job that was left vacant when Jeff Blashill took the Griffins’ coaching gig.
“I figured it would only be a matter of time for him,” said Oilers winger Ryan Jones. “He’s a great guy, a great teacher of the game and, for any organization, it’s beneficial to have a person like that. — Edmonton Sun