Here are the latest Detroit Red Wings news and rumors for July 23, 2012:
• The Red Wings’ search for some defensive help may turn to the trade route soon (if it hasn’t already), and while names like Jay Bouwmeester and Keith Yandle have come up, they’re not the only potential options out there.
In the latest edition of his “Ask Ansar” offseason series, Ansar Khan discusses the possibility of a deal for Winnipeg defenseman Zach Bogosian , and what it might take for that to happen. — MLive
• Shane Doan has set the wheels in motion on his free agency by taking trips to visit the Rangers and Flyers over the weekend. And while it’s possible he may still make his way to Detroit to sit down with Ken Holland, Mike Babcock and co., Doan’s agent said that Pittsburgh may be next on the list. — CSNPhilly
• The Red Wings will turn to their young guns a lot next season, but the plan is for Tomas Jurco to open the year with Grand Rapids. That is, if Jurco gets the transfer agreement he needs to leave his team in Slovakia. — Rotoworld
• While we’re on the topic of Detroit’s youth movement, Joe Yerdon recently wrote that “Detroit’s future forward corps looks potentially scary.” He cited guys like Jurco, Riley Sheahan (who made a quick cameo with the Wings last year), 2012 draft pick Martin Frk and others. — Pro Hockey Talk
• Have we all jumped the gun on criticizing Holland for the Wings’ (thus far) quiet offseason? The answer might depend on where Doan and Alexander Semin wind up, and will definitely rely on how Holland finally addresses Detroit’s blue line problems. — Yahoo
• Did Jeff Blashill make the right call by leaving the Red Wings’ bench to take the head coaching gig in Grand Rapids? John Raffel breaks it down. — Examiner.com